Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Worship and the responsibility of the communicator Part 1

"The church that can't worship must be entertained. And men who can't lead a church to worship must provide the entertainment."-A.W.Tozer

I read this quote yesterday and it completely wrecked me. Because this quote has been rattling around in my brain and soul for several hours, and because it has sparked a conversation on my facebook account (my twitter automatically updates my facebook-wow, I sound like a such a social network freak. Anyways...) I've decided to post a couple of blogs with thoughts regarding Tozer's statement. The first will touch on worship and tomorrow will hone in on the responsibility of the communicator. Here goes...

As I write this, my wife is making a fantastic feast of a dinner. It smells amazing. It's safe to say I am going to put the hurting on some grub in just a few minutes! And it's just in time, because my tummy's beginning to rumble. I ate a smaller lunch today and that food is gone.

Much like the pangs in my gut, the human soul aches for worship. There's a longing in the heart to connect with God. Unfortunately, that longing for the Holy can be subsided with entertainment. And just like a piece of candy may subside the need and craving of physical hunger, in the end you feel nauseous or cheated. Entertainment distracts, subdues and eases the ache, but the issue is still just as real as before. It's a short term fix for the bigger issue: the body needs a meal. Our soul craves intimacy, love and relationship through worship. Entertainment is a substitute for the real. Without food, the soul will die. Worship is food for the soul.

By the way, I just took a break to eat dinner, and it was legit. Don't settle for a substitute. There's nothing better than the real thing-it tastes too good (Psalm 34:8)!

No comments: