Sunday, September 27, 2009

CRASH reflections from tonight

Despite my being ill, I felt like tonight's CRASH was great. Students seemed to be really engaged and I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. I also felt like the message was really relateable, so I thought I'd share the outline for anyone who might be interested. Here's the notes I took with me up on stage. Blessings to you!

INTRO:
Two weeks ago we began this GodView series, and Catherine Sharpe did a great job talking about how our view of God shapes every area of our life.

Last week I talked about what happens when our GodView gets distorted because of circumstances in our lives.

Tonight I want to talk about what happens when we live life with a healthy, ever-growing view of God.

TENSION:
I think we walk away from God because we think we know all about Him. The mystery is gone. We make assumptions and we think we’ve got it all figured out.

We do that a lot, don’t we? People make a lot of assumptions. We judge a book by it’s cover…

VIDEO: Britain’s Got Talent-Susan Boyle premier


So what are we to do? We’re to live our lives with our eyes wide open!

TRUTH
Exodus 3:1-10

God showed up in ways no one would have expected.
-He was a friend to Moses
-He provided food in the Widerness
-His presence was displayed in a cloud by day, fire by night
-The ten plagues
-describes him as a loving father

All these things would’ve been missed by Moses, if he’d just said no. If he’d just overlooked the bush, I believe God would’ve provided their salvation in a different way

For a God who had revealed Himself in so many ways to His people, there was still more for them to discover.

APPLICATION:
When we think about an extraordinary life it can sometimes sound overwhelming. I understand that normal is pretty appealing sometimes. But God is big enough to make extraordinary things out of our ordinary lives. It all begins when we have a big and ever-growing GodView and when we say yes to God’s request. When I know the big and ever growing God, when I spend time with the One who loves deeper and wider than I can comprehend, then my life can be nothing short of extraordinary.

LANDING:
If you want to live a secure ,normal, ordinary life, you best not follow Jesus. People who live with an ever-growing picture of God live amazing lives. If you want to live an amazing, adventure-filled life, follow Christ.

“God surprise me. Wherever. Whatever. I’m in!” That is the prayer of the follower of Jesus.

No comments: