Monday, March 25, 2013

Matthew 1

After reading through Matthew 1-3 today, here are a couple of things I observed...

To Think/Know:
-How amazing is it that the son of God was from a line of people that included liars, thieves, adulterers, murderers, self-absorbed people whose overwhelming qualities were more evil than good. What a redemption story!
-Where we come from matters.
-Is there something to the number 14? I know that 7 is a special number in the scriptures. Is there something to the fact that it’s doubled? I need to do a little research…
-After Joseph considered divorcing Mary quietly. The angel appeared. Joseph was never going to have her stoned or punished. He loved Mary and wanted to treat her honorably, despite the perceived dishonor he’d received. This speaks of the character Joseph had, and if I were God, he’s the kind of guy I’d choose to help raise my only child.
-Joseph protected her from public disgrace, although she undoubtedly was the subject of great shame and scorn. Perhaps we can bare the load more easily if we know those closest to us support us, protect us, and walk the journey as well.

To Feel:
-I feel better about my family's dirty laundry and quirky nuances after reading through Jesus’ family! There is such a sense of hope, in that, while family shapes us and has incredible influence, our path is determined by our own choices!
-Captivated by this story and the time it takes to shape up. Hundreds of years from generation to generation as all of creation pointed to the Messiah! I feel encouraged to be patient while I wait for God’s story to unfold through my life and my family’s/community’s life.
-I get chills just thinking about the name “Immanuel-God with us.” How stirring to know I am not alone-that we are not alone!!!!!!!!

To Do:
-Take a few moments this week to look back at my genealogy and look at how I’ve been shaped, from genetically to culturally.

No comments: