Wednesday, March 27, 2013

REAP method of Bible Study

I love the Austin Stone Community Church in Austin, Texas! They are a church committed to making disciples who make disciples.  All of their programs, services and ministries are aimed at this one goal. 

Their emphasis on spiritual disciplines is not easy, but it is quite simple from what I'm observed. One of the ways they help followers of Christ engage in intentional reading of scripture through a method called REAP. The format is as follows:


READ
Open your Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to teach, correct, and train you (2 Timothy 3:16). As you’re reading, ask these questions:
  • What is happening in this passage? What things are emphasized, repeated, related?
  • What do you see about God? What is God doing in this passage?
  • What do you see about man?

EXAMINE
Spend some time reflecting. Ask yourself these questions, and write down your thoughts:
  • How do you think the author wants his audience to respond?
  • What do you learn about God’s character?
  • What wrong beliefs about God and myself did I have?

APPLY
After examining the passage, apply the text to your own life. Ask yourself these questions:
  • What is God saying to me?
  • How do I need to repent? What truths do I need to believe? What false beliefs must I turn from?
  • What can I do – empowered by the Holy Spirit – today to apply this passage?

PRAY
Pray through the passage and your application, asking God to change your heart and to change your life, based on the time you’ve spent in God’s Word.

This is the format I will be following as I post on my reflections through journaling the New Testament. 

Quick question: How do you study the Bible?

No comments: