Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SOLO Day 50 - 1 Chronicles 16:23-29

You can read the passage by clicking here.

This may be coming out of left field, but it's hard for me to serve a God more humble than I am.

I expect him to be more than me in all areas of life. I expect him to be more powerful, more knowledgeable, more spectacular. He should be bigger. Who wants to follow a god that's smaller than themselves? My God needs to be big, strong, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound type of stuff. He's got to be big, because I expect a bigger-than-life God.

Maybe "more" humility isn't an appropriate thought. Maybe less pride is a better description. Which seems a little oxymoronic: all powerful God = very little pride? Verses like this passage are interesting because I love words of praise. I'm sure God loves to hear it too. But while I long for them for reasons less than holy (boost my ego, encourage self-worth, feel important...) God wants it because he longs for us to love him. He's not needy-he knows we need him, and our confessions of praise are simply our acknowledging the need in our souls. He has less pride than we do because he's not self-serving, something I can't wrap my head around. Maybe that's just one more reason why he's good!

May we come to resemble the God who's more humble than we are, and may we sing his praise with our very lives!

No comments: