Thursday, March 31, 2011

SOLO: Job 42:7-13 (Be careful throwing God's name around)

You can read today's passage by clicking here

I referenced this in yesterday's blog, but I wanted to dive into it a little bit more...

Let's focus on the third commandment, of “the Ten Commandments. The third one is easily misunderstood. If you don't know it, here it is: "No using the name of God, your God, in curses or silly banter; God won't put up with the irreverent use of his name." Exodus 20:7, The Message In the King James version I learned as a child it says "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain..."

As a child I learned that the third commandment meant that if you hit your thumb with a hammer, be sure to not say Jesus' name, or God with any curse word attached to it. While I think this a good rule of thumb (rule of thumb...haha...I kill myself) it's not the heart of the third commandment.

Job's buddies are in deep with God! Why? Because they've failed to be honest about God-about who he is and what he's about. They've taken God's name in vain. They've associated him with something he's not or had nothing to do with.

This is a biggie, because you and I can be guilty of this without giving it much thought. "God wants me to...", "God said I should...", "If you want to please God...". I don't think it was Job's pals' intentions to point him in the wrong direction. I don't think they maliciously set out to torture him with their words. I just think they had an opinion, felt they were right, and tied God to it. By the way, that's a very bad idea!

Be very careful what you tie God to. Too many people are guilty of manipulating others in the name of God. This is very upsetting to the Most High, as shown in Job 42. Be careful when you speak for God. Be careful you're not affiliating with your opinion so you can be right or have leverage!

No comments: