Thursday, March 17, 2011

SOLO Day 53 - Nehemiah 5:6-11

Let me tell you a story that has meant a lot to me. Seven years ago I was a young youth pastor, anxious to make a difference. I took a group of students to a church camp in Glorieta, New Mexico called Centrifuge. The camp was life changing, led to Carrie and I becoming FUGE staffers ourselves, and has had a tremendous impact on our lives. It's truly a story in-and-of itself.

But while I was at that camp, I met a youth pastor that has had a profound impact on my life and ministry. I've forgotten his name, but I'll never forget the 10 minutes he spent sharing with me. He had close to 70 students, which for me was monstrous. I was so envious. I wanted to have that many kids! So I asked him how he did it? His story went something like this: he was a youth pastor, had been successful in ministry, but had nearly killed himself trying to change the culture of the church he was in. He had done everything to try and make the church's youth program grow. But every program and every gimmick seemed to fail. The student ministry continued to be apathetic and small.

One night before church, his little boy asked him if he could accompany his father to "noof gwoop." His dad tried to correct him, hoping to help his son's speech. "UUUUUUUTTTTHHHHHHH," he sounded out. His son responded, "Yeth daddy! Noof gwoop, Noof gwoop! I need noof gwoop!" This youth leader shared with me that God began to speak to his heart about needing a NOOF group: a group focused on the Needs Of Others First. He looked at me and said, "only when you look to the needs of others will you be able to accomplish what God desires! I stopped focusing on growing and started focusing on the needs of students first!" That one statement was his secret to success. Kids were attracted to a group that looked for opportunities to serve. People naturally want to be aligned with something bigger than themselves. A NOOF group provided that.

Nehemiah calls people out on the carpet because they're only focused on themselves. This is hardly the only place this happens in scripture. God is very concerned with how we love others. Are you a "me" person or a NOOF person? Your answer is a strong indicator of your intimacy with God. God is a NOOF God! May we choose to be NOOF people!

No comments: