Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Solo: Esther 7:3-10

You can read the passage by clicking here

I have a confession to make: there are times when I struggle to give grace and mercy. As a pastor, I should be the one out front, setting the tone, being generous and reckless in forgiveness. Often I wrestle with thoughts of judgment. I battle thoughts of "you reap what you sow" or "I knew this would happen" as I sit on my high horse of piety. In a turn of twisted irony, I will judge and evaluate other people for being arrogant and judgmental. This is a glimpse into my sometimes dark soul.

I think a lot of folks wrestle with this too. I know several who wage this war. Strangely, those far from Christ often have a better grasp on not being judgmental than those who are His followers. Somehow our being saved by His amazing grace brings thoughts of superiority and entitlement. Hopefully I'm the only person that thinks this way, but I somehow doubt it.

Reading a passage like this is tough. I have to be mindful of my emotions. My challenge in reading a passage like this is clear: Do not become a cheerleader for what's happening to Haman!

Yes, Haman did terrible things. Yes, I think Haman is getting what he deserved. No, he probably wouldn't have shown mercy in reverse. But I have to remember that justice suits me just fine when I feel like I'm the one who's been wronged or I care about the one who's been wronged. When I stand before the judge, I cry out for mercy, deserved or not!

The truth is, if we got what we deserve, we would all be eternally separated from God in Hell. Praise be to God, that he is liberal in grace, mercy, and forgiveness and that we don't have to get what we deserve. Instead, he lavishes love on us and calls us children.

Be careful not to be a cheerleader when judgment happens. Know that it is by grace you are saved, and that every step you take and every breath you breathe is granted by the Gracious God.

No comments: