Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dear Parents.... (a heartbreaking letter)

As a minister to Students I want to connect with teenagers on their level and ensure that they have a great experience. I feel a deep passion about good curriculum, relevant teaching and excellent programming. But often I can get so focused on the busyness of my day that I forget about what's most important: relationships.

The old adage is true. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

So what's the best way to show you care?

One word. PRESENCE.

Time invested in/with the ones you love reflects the true belief and priority of your soul. If you don't believe me, then check out this letter from a college student!
(special thanks to Cary Schmidt for his blog post)

Let me encourage you to make time for the ones you love. Your money won't do it! Activity won't do it. Entertainment won't do it. Good, relevant teaching and excellent programming from me or anyone else on Sundays and Wednesdays won't fill that gap either. What your student needs is your presence and your time. What your child needs is you!

I promise to walk with you and your student in this journey together. I'll be your biggest cheerleader because I'm committed to you both. Students need adults other than their parents loving them and investing in them as well, and I'm ready to take that responsibility on. But what they need most is their Mom and Dad. You are the most influential person in your child's life: spiritually, emotionally and mentally!

You may feel they don't care or that you're ill-equipped. You may feel like they don't need it or want it, but don't allow what you feel to impact what is true: you are their parent, their leader, their protector.

Our Father lived and died for a relationship with us. He was and is present. May we be willing to do whatever it takes to do the same for a relationship with our kids! Parents, I'm praying for you!

No comments: