Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SOLO Day 10 – Leviticus 22:1-8

One of the things that strikes me most about the book of Leviticus is it's detail and articulation regarding details. Details of feasts, details of clothing, details of sacrifices, details of details! Why are there so many specifics in this book?

I get frustrated at details. I know they're important, it's just I'm more of a big picture guy. There are times I get so impatient looking at little nuances and minute information. Regularly, I'll get irritated at all the intricacies, just wanting to sweep them under the rug and deal with them later. I'll lie to myself saying, "There's so many big picture things that are just more important." I'll fall in love with the looks of the boat, without even realizing it has so many leaks-that it would sink in minutes.

Details are really important, and that's why God spends so much time on them in the first five books of the Bible, especially Leviticus and Numbers. There are times when they seem repetitive and boring, but we can't let that fool us-God is in the details!

This passage specifically speaks to the responsibility a priest would have to go through when it comes to fulfilling his role. While you may be thinking, “that’s great, but I’m not a priest,” hang with me. God is wanting to ensure we are prepared for our roles! He wants to ensure that we’re ready for the task at hand, whatever it may be.

Many times I’ve been frustrated by God’s detail, sometimes I’ve been excited. There have been times where I felt offended (like when I first read this passage), but as I continue to read, the truth becomes clear: The details show his tireless thoughts about us. They reveal what’s always in the forefront of his mind (if he has a mind)-you and me. And he never wants us to go about our business unprepared. He wants us to trust him, but be real and know our responsibilities. Interesting, huh?

So may we see his love for us in the details. May we share the same thoughtfulness he shares, and may we prepare ourselves accordingly, because God has something great in store!

No comments: