Monday, February 28, 2011

SOLO Day 36 - 2 Samuel 15:3-6

Here's the passage for today!

My life has been a collision of goals, desires and callings intersecting truths, beliefs and convictions. I'm not sure what I've learned along the journey, but there are several principles that come to mind. Here are a few:

-I rarely get to where I want to go on the first path that comes to mind.
-Accomplishment is almost always more difficult than what I originally planned.
-I rarely can predict my emotions when something comes to fruition.
-There are no finish lines, only new opportunities.
-The end never justifies the means.

Two other thoughts are demonstrated in the life of David and came to mind as I was reading this story today.

The first thought that I had about this passage is this: more was written about David's life prior to him becoming king than after. It would be a natural assumption that much more would be written after he takes over the kingdom, because that's where he can make maximum impact. But that's not how the Bible tells his story.

The application for me is simple: Live fully in the moment I'm in. I know that I'm tempted to always be looking ahead, looking for the next big thing. I think that's human nature. But David's kingship is simply a part of his story. It's not the end, just a section. It's not even the pinnacle of his life. Could it be that the greatest moment of David's life was when he was a shepherd and no one knew his name but God? After all, that's when he got to know God and developed into a man after God's own heart. I need to learn to seize the day I'm in, and not solely be focused on what lies ahead.

The second observation I had was this: David had great power, privilege, and prestige, but he was immediately faced with greater struggles as well. It seems almost immediately after David takes the throne, he's forced to deal with major personal issues. David's life was harder after his taking over the kingdom than when he was running for his life. He endured more pain and more hardship after "success" than before!

Too frequently we look with biased eyes at situations and scenarios, unwilling to come face-to-face with reality. We strive for accomplishment and position, but are blind to the responsibilities and challenges that came with it. Remember, the grass is greener where you water it, not on the other side!

So live in the moment and strive to be content. Your life is now!

No comments: