Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SOLO Day 16 – Deuteronomy 10:12-21

I have two friends who are getting married in a few days. They're rushing around trying to get stuff together-dot all the i's, cross all the t's-and I can't help but reminisce. I remember running errands the morning of our wedding, not really knowing what was in store. I remember my brother-in-law acting like he forgot the ring, my pastor forgetting his mic, and walking out in front of the crowd. But what I'll never forget was seeing Carrie walking through the door at the back of that church. A wave of emotions hit me and it was all I could do not to cry and burst out in laughter at the same time. I was a wreck! I was sure I loved her more than anyone could ever love another human being. But I was wrong.

Fast forward almost eleven years. I watch students flock to her and listen to them giggle at some story she tells. I observe her determination to out-work anyone on any compassion effort, that is until a person walks up. Then she stops the work of ministry in order to be a minister: to interact with a total stranger. I pause as she asks me how to spell some random word because she's typing a note to send to a friend. My heart flutters over and over and I know I love her more now than I ever did when we said "I do." I'm certain no one can love more deeply. But I'm still wrong.

"God fell in love." He fell so hard for us that sacrifice wasn't even a second. He fell in love so deeply that he was willing to give up the one he loved-his only son-for you and for me. That's a crazy love God has for us. I'm going to have to really love someone to die for them! Self-sacrifice is noble and pretty selfless. But to give up whom I love most in order to save someone else? To sacrifice who I share my greatest intimacies with? Who has loved me through thick and thin? That's insane-that's a crazy love.

So may you know that God fell for you. May you feel the depths of his care and glimpse the severity of his sacrifice. And may you see with your own eyes that he's straight up crazy in love with you!

No comments: