Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SOLO Day 24 – Judges 13:2-3, 6-9, 17-20

Just a quick note: the kid mentioned in the final verses is not a child, it's a goat. I didn't want there to be a misunderstanding-like God was asking them to sacrifice the child he just gave them. That's another story...

I love the real-ness that this story portrays. An angel show's up to Manoah's wife (weird that it doesn't mention her name, right?) and their response is, "Ask God to send the messenger again so we can figure out how to raise this kid!" I love that! Just a willingness to be honest.

And I can't help but wonder how Manoah felt hearing about the angel's appearance second hand. You ever experienced that. Something amazing or crazy awesome happens, but you hear about it from another person because you didn't get to experience it yourself? So Manoah prays that the angel will return, and it does, but again to his wife. How would you feel if that were you? You pray and ask God to move, and he does, but not to you directly or in the way you thought?!

Personally, this teaches me something about my prayer life. Am I praying selfishly, even if it's not intentionally selfish, even if it's subconsciously? I'm not implying that Manoah's prayer was selfish. I love that he responded to his wife's claims with prayer! Am I open to God responding how he wishes, or am I truly open to however and whatever he wants to do.

One other thought, from a completely opposite side of the spectrum: Manoah prayed and God gave him ownership. It wasn't his wife's story anymore-now he was a participant. God is always more real to us when we experience him for ourselves and not simply through another's eyes.

So may you feel comfortable asking God to speak to you further and give you greater insight. May you pray expecting him to respond, even if it's not the way you expect. And may your relationship to God be real and alive, because it's yours and not someone else's!

No comments: